Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A little bit about where I am living

For those of you who know me, I am a Canadian, studying abroad, learning Dutch, and fulfilling my dream of living in Europe. I am hoping to update friends, and family wherever they may be, about my life, and to chronicle my cultural experience here, in the Netherlands.

Here I am, four months into living in the Netherlands; a rose, in the land of tulips. I living in a big house, in a small town (location to remain anonymous), in Zuid-Holland. I live in an area of Holland, called the Bollenstreek region, which is an area of fertile farmland where tulips are grown. The Bollenstreek area stretches from the city of The Hague, up towards Haarlem, and inland. 



I live with two Dutch room-mates, who frighteningly remind me more and more of Beavis and Butthead every day. The house was built in 1914, and is considered a historical landmark. The house has three levels, and used to be a group home for people with handicaps. I am living here, in an anti-krack arrangement, in one of ten bedrooms. The house has a huge living area, but unfortunately for us, hasn't been maintained well over the years, and is starting to fall apart. Only some of the electrical outlets work, we have disfunctional plumbing in the kitchen, and the walls are quite literally crumbing around us on the top floor of the house. To wash dishes, we have to wash them in a basin, in the old sink, and dump the dirty water into a bucket, as opposed to into a drain. 

The best feature of the house- the toilet. The house is equipped with two old fashioned Dutch toilets. For those of you who have been to the Netherlands, maybe you know what I am talking about. The toilets here are designed with a special inspection platform, so that poo falls directly onto the shelf, and is ready for inspection. This was a totally new concept for me: FYI, I see nothing wrong with the way the Canadian/American toilets are designed with water in the bottom of the toilet bowl. At first I was confused and wondered how I was supposed to sit, so that my poo would actually make it into the hole with water, as opposed to onto the shelf. I totally missed the point, that the toilet has been designed so that people can actually check out their poo. Also, because the poo doesn't fall into water, the odor is much more potent. This was quite horrifying to me, but as it has been explained to me by the local Dutchies, this is actually quite practical as it allows a health examination of said poo, and wastes less water than the American toilet equivalent. Four months in, and the toilet is still here, but I have to say I miss my Canadian toilet.

 Well, enough for now, more to come on Dutch life! Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment