Thursday, January 20, 2011

Homesick?

Here I am, four months into my Dutch adventure, with six to go. I thought I would devote a post to the issue of homesickness. I have received quite a lot of advice on this topic, especially since moving to the Netherlands. Some people have counseled me that the first few months away from home are the hardest, others say that the holidays are hard, but I have to say that for me, this post-holiday period has by far been the worst. Roommate number one (Hans) has advised me to keep busy, and number two (Otlo), has told me that really the ultimate advice he has, is to go home (problem solved). A dear friend of mine advocated for frequent hugging which seems to be the best option so far.

I guess homesickness hits everyone in different ways, and the solution is pretty individual. For me, since moving to the Netherlands I feel like I have undergone an identity transformation. I have left behind my identity as a nurse, embraced being a Canadian, and have become an outsider, in a society where I do not speak the language. I left my cat behind in Canada with his auntie, and gained two senile cats, and a wild hedgehog (temporarily). I have moved away from a part of Canada, that I absolutely adored to a part of the world that is crowded, and flat, and into a derelict house with two moody Dutchman. So family, and friends aside, here is a list of what I miss the most from home:

What I Miss:
  1. Maple Syrup (This is so much better on pancakes than pouder suiker)
  2. Hockey (Best sport to watch on TV, do not miss Canadian men who are obsessed)
  3. Mountains
  4. Snow
  5. The Wilderness
  6. The Garborator (ok, really a functional sink would suffice at this point)
  7. Silence, Space, and Fresh air
  8. My car
  9. Speaking English
  10. Sour Skittles
(The Dutch syrup of choice)

1 comment:

  1. Like the part about the maple syrup. Not such a big fan of the toilet designs. Talk about mixing sweet & sour!

    ReplyDelete